California law requires that children between the ages of 6 and 18 attend school every day. It is the parent/caregiver’s responsibility to ensure that their child gets to school every day. Oakdale Joint Unified School District believes that regular attendance plays a key role in student achievement.
Tips on Getting to School On Time—
- Make sure your child goes to bed early and gets a good night’s sleep.
- Develop a morning routine (get dressed, eat breakfast, brush teeth) and stick with it.
- Talk with your child about the importance of attending school every day for academic success.
- Arrange a time every night without interruptions for your child to do homework.
Regular Attendance is Important—
- Students with frequent absences have lower grades and higher drop-out rates than students who attend school regularly.
- Students with frequent absences are more likely to get involved with drugs, alcohol, and violence.