Short Read Resources
Grade Specific Resources
Fifth Grade Metacognative Strategies
Fifth grade resource site for improving reading comprehension using metacognitive strategies.
K-8 Reading Instruction Resources
Reading instruction resources grades K-8.
Reading Like a Historian
The Reading Like a Historian curriculum engages students in historical inquiry. Each lesson revolves around a central historical question and features sets of primary documents designed for groups of students with diverse reading skills and abilities.
New York Times
New York Times Room for Debate
Search by topic for text sets presenting multiple opinions.
Do you have a Stanislaus County Library card?
STEPS FOR ACCESSING STANISLAUS COUNTY LIBRARY DATABASES
- Log on to the Stanislaus County Library.
- On the top bar, click on E-Resources.
- A dropdown menu will appear. Click on Databases.
- Scroll down and look at the opportunities! Useful databases include Kids InfoBits (articles on many topics for kids), EBSCOhost (articles on many topics), and Explora (for elementary students, provides research starting points).
- Click on the database of your choice.
- Enter your library card number (on the back, under the barcode).
Explore the possiblities!
The Washington Post - TweenTribune
The daily news site for kids—where you'll find the most compelling, relevant and interesting news. Stories are selected by professional journalists working closely with tweens and teachers. Tweens can post comments, with all comments moderated by their teachers before they are published.
Teachers can sign up with TweenTribune and get lots of articles and lesson plans all for free for their specific grade level.
Short Passages for Analysis
About.com, Grammar and Composition
This site has numerous very short passages that illustrate various rhetorical strategies. Great sources for junior high and especially high school teachers to use for close reading practice.